For amateur collectors or professional mycologists working in the field, this guidebook is quite simply the best North American mushroom reference ever published. Each of the 1,000 specimens is shown in full color on a neutral background to eliminate distractions, and specimens are arranged to show the cap, stem, gills, spines and a cross section, usually in various stages of growth.
Roger Phillips identifies all regional varieties of Basidiomycetes, which include chanterelles, puffballs and fungi, and Ascomycetes, which include morels and cup fungi. Detailed descriptive information on each mushroom variety includes:
- Dimensions of cap, gills and stem
- Color and texture of flesh
- Odor and taste
- Habitat and growing season
- Distribution and appearance of spores
- Edibility and poison warnings
- There is also helpful advice on collecting specimens plus an illustrated beginner identification key and a generic key for the more advanced collector.
Mushrooms and Other Fungi of North America is at once the ideal introduction to mycology and an essential reference for the experienced collector -- the definitive book in its category.
- Publisher : Firefly Books; Illustrated edition (Sept. 23 2010)
- Language : English
- Paperback : 384 pages
- ISBN-10 : 155407651X
- ISBN-13 : 978-1554076512
- Item Weight : 948 g
- Dimensions : 15.54 x 2.74 x 22.81 cm
0 stars based on 0 reviews
Add your review
Review MUSHROOMS AND OTHER FUNGI OF NORTH AMERICA BY:ROGER PHILLIPS